Bun #3

pregnancy calendar

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Trying not to Freak Out

Well, here I am at 38 weeks 6 days. Baby's due next week. We're definitely getting closer, and the reality of everything is starting to set in. We're all packed for the hospital and ready to go. Now it's just a waiting game.

I had my weekly appointment this morning with Tom Lloyd. I think this is the last one I'll go to by myself, because now we're starting to get into stuff like stripping my membranes and scheduling inductions, and I realized today that I need some extra support to not freak out too much.

Tom tried to strip my membranes to help produce the hormone that ripens the cervix so we can avoid an induction later on. Boy, that hurt. I wasn't quite prepared for how it would feel, and there I am all alone trying to RELAX! I need my coach! I hope I can handle labor. I did a little better the second time he went in, but he still couldn't quite get far enough to really strip the membranes well even though he was sure pushing hard and reaching far. It will help when baby's head is a bit lower so I guess we'll try again next week. This may help things along so hopefully we won't go too far past our due date. I really don't want to be induced. I'm not even due yet, and I'm already worried about induction. I just need to relax and take it one day at a time. This baby will come! Tom assured me I wouldn't be his first mom to not give birth. :)

Baby is just under 8 lbs as far as Tom could tell. (We had to wait for a contraction to pass before he could get a good feel of the baby.) I'm still only about 1 cm dilated and my cervix is soft although Tom said he wouldn't say it's really effaced yet. I think the baby's just chillin'. Just don't chill too long. Tom scheduled an induction for a week past our due date, July 17th. Yeah, that would be our anniversary. I might try to get them to bump it back just a couple days so we can give baby a little more time and so it's not scheduled on our anniversary. Hopefully we won't even go that far so we won't have to worry about it!

No comments: