Bun #3

pregnancy calendar

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Beta Strep Positive

I had my weekly check up this morning and found out that I tested positive for beta strep which isn't a horrible thing, but it means they'll need to put me on antibiotics during labor which also means they'll want me to come in to the hospital a little sooner rather than later. My plan is to labor as much as possible at home. The earlier you go in to the hospital usually the earlier they want to speed things along and intervene with the natural process. It's impossible to know exactly how everything will go, so I'm trying to remind myself to be flexible with the little unexpected bumps in the road.

I saw a different midwife today, Vicky Cohen, because Tom wasn't available. Baby is still doing really well. His heart rate was 142 which is nice and strong and she couldn't move his head which means it has dropped into the pelvis. He's getting ready! I didn't have her check dilation or effacement today. It's probably better not to overanalyze those numbers since they don't really mean anything anyway as far as telling how much longer it will be.

The OBGYN department moved to new offices, and today was their first day in them so it was a little unorganized, but not too bad, considering. Now all the pregnant ladies won't have to walk upstairs. I'm looking forward to seeing Tom Lloyd, my regular midwife, for the rest of my check ups.

One more update: I was feeling contractions for the first time last night. Just before I went swimming, I noticed that my tummy felt a little strange and uncomfortable. During class I had to pause a few times because I felt it again. Walking to the car afterwards I noticed that my tummy was really tight all over. Contractions? I couldn't tell exactly when a contraction would start or stop, but I'm pretty sure that's what that was. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever feel them. Good to know everything's getting ready!

2 comments:

gleefulgirl said...

The antibiotics really aren't a big deal - and I wouldn't plan any part of your birth around it. :) But you'll know soon enough - we're waiting to meet you baby boy studer!

Sarah said...

I'm guessing you were probably feeling "Braxton Hicks" contractions, which is quite common throughout later pregnancy. I didn't feel them personally, but other women close to me have. :)