Bun #3

pregnancy calendar

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Baby Shower

It's not common to have a baby shower with the second baby, but my friends from Baby Boot Camp days decided to have one for me anyway. (This was February 24 but I forgot to blog about it.) We went to Olive Garden and unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera but my friends Jamie, Kim, Tonya, Kara, and Lisa were there and we had a good time laughing and talking. It was strange to realize that out of all of us we had 12 births but only one was a vaginal birth. That's a lot of cesareans! I really enjoyed opening up my little girl gifts - so many cute outfits and I loved the diaper cake! The next day we also had a play date/baby shower for Kerry who has since had her second baby. I feel very blessed by these women, and it's fun to get excited about my girl with other moms. I appreciate the effort they make to stay connected even though I live in Vancouver now, and we no longer have our Baby Boot Camp exercise.

I also like to glean advice from moms with multiple kids. One mom said to stay in the hospital an extra day if I can because although I'll want to get back to Desmond as soon as possible, it's really hard going home. Best to use the help from the hospital staff while you can. Plus my labor and delivery will be free since I met my out-of-pocket maximum, so might as well. The other thing I've heard a lot is that the physical side of having a second child is one thing, but the hardest part is the emotional side. You can no longer focus all your attention and affection on one child. Learning to balance that will be hard. Desmond's my little guy and we are both used to spending all day, every day together. Maybe I should plan a few more special things to do with him in the next seven weeks.

No comments: