Bun #3

pregnancy calendar

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

First Non-Stress Test

Here come the doctor's visits! I have 13 appointments scheduled for the next seven weeks: a non-stress test every week, a check up every two weeks, and an ultrasound every four weeks. This baby will be well checked. I don't like having the non-stress tests so much because any little thing might cause them to send me to the hospital or want to do an induction or whatever. So I'm praying that she'll check out perfectly every time. Also I have to find someone to watch Desmond for these 45 minute tests because I have to lay still the whole time.

Monday was my first non-stress test (NST). The fluid measured just right but it looked like she was sleeping at first which isn't ideal. Toward the end we got in the heart rate variation and extended acceleration they require for a "pass." The quick ultrasound also showed that she is head down. I thought she had flipped because my pelvis has really been hurting - as in it hurts to walk most of the time - so I figured her head was resting down there. Also my bladder has been spared and all the kicking has been on the top lately.

I also had my 32 week check up right after the NST. Dr. Wright talked to me about labor stuff. They want me to check in to the hospital early once labor starts rather than laboring for awhile at home, and they also want me on the epidural early rather than waiting until closer to transition. All this is to monitor me closely due to the VBAC situation and to keep the stress low on my body due to the heart stuff. This basically goes against what I had planned to do. I felt I was at the hospital too early last time, and I want to do more early labor at home. I also want to wait as long as possible to get the epidural so we don't start intervening too early and possibly slow down the natural process. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how I'm feeling when the ball starts to roll.

Dr. Wright also told me she won't let me go too much past my due date since they don't want the baby to get too big and they can't use all the intervention they might otherwise use to induce since this is a VBAC and they have to be more gentle with my uterus. I hope our dating is correct and she shows up on time! Everything just needs to go perfectly to make this a VBAC. They'll assess me at 38 weeks with another ultrasound to see how big baby is, positioning, and all that to come up with a probability for a successful VBAC. A certain number of risk factors will cause them to suggest a repeat cesarean. I'd really rather not have another cesarean, but I feel much more prepared for it if that's what happens. It won't take away the joy of having our daughter! And how nice it would be to walk into the hospital and a few hours later be holding our baby!

I'm getting the nesting urge this week. I cleaned a lot yesterday and I feel like continuing today. I just have to get it done quickly before my back is screaming at me. Maybe today I'll finally start her curtains.

No comments: